Saturday, March 1, 2008

VARSITY BASKETBALL ENDS SEASON WITH VICTORY OVER WOODSTOCK-DDS-49-WOODSTOCK-12 – By Coach Ouellette

A normally powerful Woodstock team traveled to DDS missing two of their strong players. I was disappointed that we were not going to have a replay of our season ending game of last year. It was a fantastic game with Woodstock beating us by four. It wasn’t to be this year, however. With only seven players, Woodstock just didn’t have the manpower to face our strong team. With us up 6-0, I immediately began subbing, knowing that it was going to be a long game. It just so happened that everyone I put in was hitting his or her shots. I wished that I could have swapped our shooting percentage of yesterday’s game for today. Everything I tried to do to keep the score down was not working and I felt poorly about the score. I was hoping to have the eighth graders finish their careers in the game and not on the bench, but it wasn’t to be.

Leading all scorers was tri-captain Griffin Wilson with 13 points. Griffin, once again, led the team with some great fast break lay-ups and some real heads-up defense. Griffin’s total offensive output for the year was 188 points. I don’t know the output of past DDS players but this has to be right up there at the top for a single season record. Griffin’s quiet leadership was key to our success this season. Austin Christensen exploded to the basket and culminated his career with a ten-point game. Austin went to the basket like a proven veteran and looked so good doing it. Tri-captain Adam Baker finished the game and his career with six points and was a force under the basket. Adam was our defensive leader throughout the season and is one of the reasons for our very successful season. He worked hard at every practice and in every game and was an excellent example for the younger kids. Danielle Stamer, Roan Gideon, and visiting JV player Sean Gorwara all had four points. Tri-captain Hudson Kuras, making his first and final appearance after coming back from a broken finger, had two points along with Cooper Davis, Jackson Ryan, and Matthew Stapylton. It was great to see Hudson back on the court, running all over with boundless energy. I think we would have been undefeated with a healthy Hudson. We missed his smile, high energy and leadership during his absence and I’m glad he was able to play in the last game.
It would be unfair of me not to give a special nod to Danielle Stamer. Danielle is the first female player I have ever coached in my career. She has set a very high standard for any female player that I coach in the future. She started a few games as a sixth grader last year and every game this year. She was a real force on defense. Watching her play against that very large Rumsey center made me know that this young person will not back down from anything or anyone. Watch out for her next year. As her offensive game develops, Danielle will be a coach’s dream. Dani will always hold a special place in my heart.
I also must mention Shriman and Cooper as they wind up their careers. Cooper is gifted in so many ways and added much more to our team than just his basketball skills. He was always around with a quick smile or a silly joke. His spirit was contagious.
Shriman is my gentle soul. He has such a kind and loving nature. I was always trying to get him to keep his gentle soul but become a tiger on the outside. He had a great season and blossomed into a great player.
As I did in yesterday’s game, I invited the remaining six JV players to “suit-up” and they all were able to get some playing time. They included Sebastian Barry, TJ Sayah, Jon Hill, Sean Gorwara, Maggie Dull, and Bernadette Winby.

The varsity ended their season with a tremendous 11-2 record. Congratulations DDS Varsity!

We all must now say goodbye to our fantastic class of 2008. It has been my pleasure coaching these six very special kids for two years. They have improved tremendously as players and continue to grow and mature into very fine young gentlemen. I am so proud of each of them and I thank them for their commitment to the program, their strong participation, and the respect they have shown me. I salute them and will miss my time with them. These special young people are Griffin Wilson, Hudson Kuras, Adam Baker, Cooper Davis, Austin Christensen, and Shriman Balasubramanian. Goodbye my young friends and may your lives be filled with nothing but “tailwinds”.

No comments: